Welcome to the student section of the NRHC website! This page is the place to go to find information and updates regarding the student aspects of our annual conference.
Coordinating all the student aspects of our conference are the two Student Representatives to the NRHC Executive Board – Freda Raitelu and Brent Barge. Freda can be contacted at email@example.com; Brent may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find out a little more about Freda and Brent by visiting the ‘Officers’ tab at the top of this page.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
This year’s conference will be held from April 4-7 in the “City of Brotherly Love” – Philadelphia, PA! The conference will be hosted at the Sheraton Society Hill Hotel, a beautiful hotel that includes many amenities for students including an indoor pool/hot tub, fitness room, Starbucks in the lobby, and much more! The hotel is located just a few short blocks off the Delaware River and is within short walking distance of Independence Hall, the National Constitution Center, China Town, and many other great attractions. Other parts of the city can be easily accessed via the SEPTA System (or as most of us would call it, the subway system).
While more information on what to do in Philly will be coming shortly, we wanted to share with you the exciting student events we have planned for the three evenings of the conference:
- Thursday Night: All Mixed Up! An Introduction to Honors, Philadelphia, and their People: Come out and join your fellow honors students in a Photo Scavenger Hunt Philadelphia Style! Bring your camera, your walking shoes, and your creativity! Afterward, join us back at the hotel for pizza!
- Friday Night: Game Show Extravaganza: Have you ever watched Minute to Win It and longed to be a contestant yourself? Ever find yourself answering the Jeopardy questions and thinking, “hey, I could be on that show!?” Well now’s your chance! Team up with your fellow honors students and participate in some of those games you see on TV!
- Saturday Night: Saturday Night “White Out” Party. End the conference right and White out NRHC! Wear as much white as you can and come out and dance the night away with a live DJ, black lights, glow sticks, and best of all – a photo booth! Take FREE photos with your friends (old and new) for NRHC keepsakes!
You’ll also have a chance to explore Philadelphia through our City as Text program on Thursday. These explorations allow you to really get to see what great things Philly has to offer. Afterward, come back to share your experiences with other students and hear from Philadelphia natives on their perspectives of the city as well.
As we get closer to April, you’ll hear more from us regarding the conference. In the meantime, make sure to check us out on Facebook – search for Northeast Regional Honors Council – NRHC. There you can keep updated on the conference, meet other students who are attending, and view pictures throughout and after the event itself! We look forward to seeing you in Philadelphia!
Some Tips for New and Returning Attendees
- Bring Appropriate Clothing for the various events:
- City as Text and Student Events: Casual clothing is best, including comfortable walking shoes for City as Text!
- Banquets and Presentations: Business Causal is fine, but you may choose to dress formally if you wish – there’s nothing wrong with being overdressed!
- Take a look at the weather and be prepared! What if City as Text day brings rain? (Or snow! As it did in Portland, Maine two years ago.) And you don’t want to be wearing winter clothes if it’s 80 degrees out!
- Be prepared for all circumstances, especially if you’re presenting. Have back up plans if technology fails (or some other issue arises) and bring extra copies! Expect the worst, and hope for the best!
- Do some research on Philly. While we’ll provide you with a lot of info and suggestions, it’s always good to have an idea of what’s available before you come. A great place to start is http://www.visitphilly.com/.
- Check out the conference website and learn as much as you can about it. If you’re not sure about something, don’t hesitate to ASK one of the student representatives! All the conference info can be found at the conference website: www.nrhc2013.org!